On behalf of the Greater New Orleans Foundation board and staff, we want to express our sincere apology for the technology failure we experienced on GiveNOLA Day on Tuesday, May 3rd.And a Big Thank YouWe’re very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused as you were trying to support your favorite nonprofits. We are so grateful for your generosity and your perseverance.
The GiveNOLA Day website was sporadically down for approximately ten hours within the 24-hour campaign. Kimbia, the Austin-based technology partner for Give Local America, said the reason the site crashed on giving day sites across the United States was the overwhelming volume of external sites pointing to and hitting their databases. A total of 54 community foundations nationwide experienced technical difficulties that severely disrupted the ability of tens of thousands of donors to make contributions.
What is the latest update for nonprofits?
- Thank you to nonprofits who turned in pledge forms. We’re working as fast as we can to convert those pledges into donations.
- In an attempt to streamline the process, pledge form donors will receive an email containing a unique, secure link whereby they can fulfill their pledge.
- The donor reports will be updated over the next several weeks to reflect new gifts.
- Please continue to read email updates issued regularly from email@example.com.
What should donors do?
- Please be assured that we have ruled out any security issues. There has been no security breach and all transactions continue to be securely processed.
- Thank you for your patience as we continue to make calls and send emails.
- For donors who completed a pledge form, you will receive an initial email with a subject line: OPEN to fulfill your GiveNOLA Day pledge.
- If you were directed to give to a nonprofit’s own website, we’ll be working with these organizations to make sure your donation is counted.
- If you didn’t get a message confirming your donation, please call the Greater New Orleans Foundation at (504) 598-4663.
What will happen with the prizes and awards?
- At present, we expect to grant awards as initially planned, but please be patient as we still have data to collect. (First, second, third, fourth and fifth place for small and large organizations that most unique dollars and most dollars raised.)
- The eight nonprofits who won Rock Around the Clock giveaways before the site crashed will be honored. The remainder will be randomly selected at a later date. All nonprofits that received at least one gift will be eligible for the random drawings.
- The first round of Throw Me Something Mister Hour awards will be honored. The remaining $12,000 will be added to the Lagniappe Fund.